Friday, November 21, 2008

McConnell Press Conference

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell held a press conference to reiterate that the Republican caucus will demand the right to offer amendments on proposed legislation:

So the point I would like to make here is that the 42 Republican senators represent 157 million Americans. Their voices are entitled to be heard. And the way to be heard in the Senate is to have an open amendment process. And that’s what we’ve had historically until the last Congress where it was routinely the device of the majority leader to prevent the minority from offering amendments.
That is not going to stand. We are going to try to get that genie back in the bottle so that the 157 million people that we represent will have an opportunity to have their voices heard.Link


McConnell dismissed the notion that his reelection had been close:

Well, first of all, I don’t consider myself the leader of the Republican Party. I consider myself a leader of the Republican Party in Kentucky. Secondly, let me hasten to remind you my election was not close. I won by over 100,000 votes. I carried 87 out of 120 counties. It was the third largest margin I’ve ever gotten. It was contesting, but it was not close.

And I know the difference between a close election and a not close election. I won by six percentage points, and I believe Barack Obama won by -- what -- 54-48. So it was not close.

H/t: Congressional Quarterly

1 comment:

knowitall said...

Glad someone admits it wasn't close. Which means the left-wing illuminati aren't going to capitalize off of the economy in four years.