Monday, November 5, 2007

When You Go to Vote, Don't Forget to Wear Shoes

"Kentucky Republicans tend not to be the brightest bulbs or outside-the-box thinkers. " So pontificates DitchMitchKy.com blogger Matt Gunterman. In the words of Thurston Howell III, "he must be a Yale man, Lovie."

Gunterman, who says he is "a doctoral student in the history of medicine and teaching fellow" at Bill and Hillary's Alma mater, can hardly restrain himself from singing "Boola, Boola" given the Democrats' prospects in tomorrow's election. (Speaking of restraint, or the lack thereof, Gunterman today wrote a bizarre piece about Governor Fletcher and Robbie Rudolph that takes political, or should we say Freudian, projecting to a new level.)

Gunterman also reports that "Soon-To-Be Gov. Steve Beshear can transform how the world sees Kentucky and how Kentuckians see themselves." Gunterman should do his part first by scrubbing his blog, where expletives and name-calling substitute for facts and logic. (You may need to disable your parental control settings to access the link, given the profanity.)

Yesterday Gunterman's colleague, Shawn Dixon, criticized singer Pat Boone's phone message endorsing Governor Fletcher, complaining that we don't need "California friends calling us to talk about Kentucky values." Note that Dixon claims he "will matriculate this fall in the JD program at New York University School of Law, where he has been awarded the prestigious AnBryce Scholarship." (Congrats!)

Thank goodness these philosopher kings have deigned to enlighten us Kentucky rubes from their perches in Greenwich Village and New Haven.

For local flavor, their comrade Jim Pence's offering boils down to "Liar, liar, pants on fire," and various You Tube videos, one of which features a hillbilly with a shotgun offering dim-witted sexual innuendo about Republicans. (Is this a hate crime?)

If this level of argument is the best that Kentucky liberals -- a/k/a "progressives" -- can muster, then conservatives should take heart, even though elephants may seem to be endangered species in the Bluegrass tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bridget:

Love your blog! I halfway thought about doing something like this, but since we are on the same page politically, now I don't have to. I can read your blog to see what I am thinking! Yes, Tuesday will likely be bloody for the good guys. I am not as worried about the local stuff as I am the national front. The word HILLARY scares me to the depths of my soul (and pocketbook!) Anyway, congrats on the site and keep up the good fight.

Sloane

Anonymous said...

Bridget:

Love your new blog! I halfway thought about creating one of these, but now that you have, I don't have to. I can read your blogs and see what I am thinking! Yes, Tuesday will be bloody for the good guys. I have done my part, what I always do, filled in the "R" block. Keep up the good fight.

Sloane