Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Kelley Paul Responds to Conways Aqua Buddha Ad

Rand Paul's wife, Kelley, responded to Jack Conway's Aqua Buddha ad. It is the Paul's 20th anniversary. Here's the text of her remarks:

Rand's opponent has made a desperate, shameful attack on our family.The New Republic called it despicable and the ugliest political ad of the year. Today's Courier Journal calls it odious. Democrats and Republicans across the country and here in Kentucky have condemned it.

I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw it, and neither could our three sons, who are 11, 14 and 17.

Rand and I were married in my hometown of Russellville on October 20th of 1990, surrounded by our family and friends. Yes, today is our 20th wedding anniversary, and I can honestly say I never thought this is how we would be celebrating it!

I am truly shocked by Conway's ads questioning Rand's faith based on nothing more than anonymous accusations from nearly three decades ago.

Rand and I are both Christians and our faith is very important to us.As the granddaughter of a Baptist minister, faith has always been a part of my life, and I'd never have fallen in love with or married a man who didn't share my values.

Jack Conway has a family too, and while I'm sure he isn't thinking about it right now, these personal attacks hurt people's families. I'd have thought someone with a beautiful baby daughter would take that into account, no matter how desperate he may be to win.

There are less than 2 weeks left in this campaign. Rand is hoping we can get back to discussing the real issues. Kentucky and our nation face huge problems like a 13 trillion dollar debt that threatens to destroy our children's futures.Washington tries to pile more and more on each day through cap and trade, obamacare, and bailouts.

Rand got into this race to stand up against the Washington machine - not be part of it. He'll be a Senator we can be proud of Rand would never try to smear an opponent with baseless, anonymous gossip from their teenage years.

At the end of the day, we all have to look ourselves in the mirror. I'm proud to say that my husband will have no trouble doing that when this race is over.