Friday, February 1, 2008

I've Got the Power (Back On) !

It took the weather gurus a day to figure out that our neighborhood was hit by a tornado, though it was obvious to me at first glance. Our street was rendered impassable in both directions by fallen trees and power lines. This was particularly exciting because I had my book club over at the time and everyone was stranded. We just pressed on by candlelight. (Great read: River of Doubt by Candace Millard.) Eventually everyone got out by walking over to the next street, where my husband John and the boys had had to park, and John ferried them home. The sirens never went off. So much for Doppler Radar; I'm going back to the Farmer's Almanac. We never heard any sound like a freight train. I guess that proves that a Girls' Night Out is stronger (or at least, louder) than any tornado.

No comments: