Thursday, September 4, 2008

Excerpts From Senator McCain's Speech

Sen. John McCain has an impossibly hard act to follow, given the rave reviews of Gov. Sarah Palin's speech. There is simply no way he can top her speech. Instead, he needs to remind America of relentless independence and honor. He needs to remind America that we know who he is, and though we may not always agree with him, he will always be straight with us and put country first.

Here are excerpts from the prepared text of his speech. He will likely deviate from the text a far amount. But here's what he's planning to say tonight:

On running mate Alaska Governor Sarah Palin: "I’m very proud to have introduced our next Vice President to the country. But I can’t wait until I introduce her to Washington. And let me offer an advance warning to the old, big spending, do nothing, me first, country second Washington crowd: change is coming."

On solving problems in Washington: "The constant partisan rancor that stops us from solving these problems isn’t a cause, it’s a symptom. It’s what happens when people go to Washington to work for themselves and not you. Again and again, I’ve worked with members of both parties to fix problems that need to be fixed. That’s how I will govern as President. I will reach out my hand to anyone to help me get this country moving again. I have that record and the scars to prove it. Senator Obama does not."

On love of country: "I fell in love with my country when I was a prisoner in someone else’s. I loved it not just for the many comforts of life here. I loved it for its decency; for its faith in the wisdom, justice and goodness of its people. I loved it because it was not just a place, but an idea, a cause worth fighting for. I was never the same again. I wasn’t my own man anymore. I was my country’s."

No comments: